- The way people greet may leave you wondering with both your eyes and mouth gaping. Greetings does not end with ‘Namaste’ among the Indians, ‘Ciao’ among the Italians, ‘Bonjour’ among the French or ‘Jambo’ among the Swahili. It goes beyond that. There are actions that go with that.
8. Lying Prostrate On The Ground As A Form Of Greetings
This form of greetings may be almost dying but it was done among the Israelites and the Yoruba people. It was mainly done to greet diginitaries or chiefs.
The salutation was or is a form of respect. Greetings being a form of communication it is done this way to communicate the esteem they regard the diginitary.
7. Kneeling As A Form Of Greeting
Kneeling has been and is still the tradition of the women of Uganda to their males. It shows honor and respect. A woman kneels and talks with a man with eyes to the ground. She never allows her eyes to meet with those of the man.
6. Folding Your Hand Into A Fist and touching The Knuckles
This form of greetings is used to avoid shaking of hands. Since there are so many diseases that can be transmitted by handshakes, the touch the knuckles greetings assists here.
5. Putting Your Hands together At Your Chest And Bowing
This form of greetings is common among the Thai. It shows great respect and honor to each other. The greetings also look so good to observers. With a broad smile on your face and the picture is complete.
4. Bowing And An Elder Patting Your Head In Blessing And Greetings
This form is common in Asian communities. It shows good culture, respect and honor. It also comes with blessings.
3. Handshake As A Form Of Greetings
Handshakes are all over the globe.It shows you are friends. The open hands show that you are at peace and there is no hidden weapon.
2. A Kiss As A Form Of Greetings
This form of greetings show a more close relationship. It is a sign of love. The greetings is more intimate. It comes with a certain peace of mind and sense of belonging. There are other casual kisses like a peck on the cheek.
1. A Hug As A Form Of Greeting
A hug is the warmest of all the greetings. A hug comforts and consoles. Hugs are greetings of feeling. They show kinship, comradeship and brotherhiood.
There are many more forms of greetings that are not included here. There is for example waving of a hat and bowing.
Featured image by pixel2013 from pixabay