Existence and History of White Lies
White lies have existed since time immemorial. They may be as old as Methuselah and lived from the time of creation. Wikipedia simply describes white lies as “minor or benign falsehoods.” They range from saving embarrassment to sparing the feelings of a loved one, and can be told for many other reasons. They are called “white” because they are harmless.
Some Types of White Lies
You may not like the outfit your spouse is wearing, yet you need to compliment her. If you mention something like the dress is ugly and she looks like a tramp in it, you may spoil both her day and your relationship! You may feel you have to resort to a white lie, so you say how the dress is pretty and how she looks lovely in it.
At times, you may visit a patient at the hospital who is critically ill. By looking at the patient, you see they may pass on at any moment. You cannot say to the face of the patient and his relatives that all is lost. You give them hope, you say the patient will recover. That is a white lie.
“Just relax honey and watch a movie. I’m caught up in a traffic jam.” Of course, there is no traffic. You went to see an ex or your mistress. You cannot shout to your spouse that you are unfaithful. You cannot say that you still see your ex or that you have a mistress. So you tell white lies to save your marriage.
With mobile phones, white lies can become quite interesting. Nobody wants to give his accurate location. So, he will say he is in Gaza when in reality he is in West Bank. Thanks to the advancement of technology that now you can tell the identity of the caller and his present locality.
Why Tell White Lies?
- They save an embarrassment or a relationship. People involved in white lies may not be doing anything criminal. Yet it is amusing how they lie without any shame. Do you fall into this category?
- White lies can help people to avoid strife and fighting.
- White lies have become part of life. Most people cannot live without white lies. They are just on their lips. It is a lifestyle and looks very healthy. Nobody is convicted by it. Can it be a sin, religiously?
- White lies are passed down from generation to generation. We begin by lying to our children. They will do it to theirs and it goes on and on. Most children learn much from copying in comparison to being taught. Do you agree?
- White lies are here to stay. It has become a habit. Habits become a lifestyle, with continued practice.
Are you prone to white lies?
Featured image: geralt/Pixabay Free Images/CCO