The BlogBourne staff are proud to announce our first ever writing challenge! Write a creative and engaging post, and you stand to win one of several prizes worth up to 500 coins! The theme of this first writing challenge is “40 Knives,” for the recent news item about the man in India who swallowed more than 3 dozen knives that were later surgically removed.
Knives have often figured in stories of crime and intrigue. They are a wonderful prop for everything from horror to mystery stories and beyond. Swallowing non-food items can be a medical condition or compulsion, sometimes called pica. But in the mind of a writer, it can be so much more: a way for a criminal to transport a weapon or for a spy to protect secret documents; a ritual act associated with an exotic culture, a cult, or a fraternity; a bizarre way to absorb minerals during a time of famine; or perhaps even the result of an unusual accident!
Use this bizarre news story as your inspiration and let your imagination run wild! You may write an informative or entertaining post, a fantasy news report, a personal anecdote, or your own commentary on this or similar events. The goal is to be original and engaging, to produce high-quality content that will be of interest to readers all over the world.
Contest Rules & How to Enter
- The contest opens immediately and will close on September 3, 2016. Winners will be chosen by the BlogBourne staff and will be announced during the week of September 4th – 10th. All BlogBourne members are eligible to take part in the contest. If you are not already a member and would like to enter the contest, please register for your free BlogBourne account here. (BlogBourne staff may choose to write posts on the contest theme, but are not eligible to win any prizes.)
- The writer of the winning post will receive a bonus of 500 coins. The writers of the 2nd and 3rd place posts will win 350 coins and 250 coins , respectively. There will also be five (5) additional prizes of 100 coins for honourable mentions. Writers are only eligible to win one prize for this contest.
- There is no limit to the number of eligible entries per writer. All posts must meet the usual site rules and posting guidelines. Posts should be entered in the “40 Knives” category to be submitted in the running. All contest entries will be featured in the forum and on the official BlogBourne Facebook page. BlogBourne will promote the entries on social media.
- Each entry must be original content; news rewrites will be disqualified. Posts that contain unlicensed content (e.g. copyrighted photos, quotes or paraphrases without a citation) will similarly be disqualified.
- Images included in the post should be relevant to the content, and must be accompanied by a complete and accurate image credit. While we will not immediately disqualify an entry because of a missing or incomplete credit, we will contact the writer to edit the post. Winning entries must have a proper image credit by the time the contest closes.
- Entries will be judged on creativity and originality, appeal to a general audience, writing skill, and ability to engage the audience.
Good luck to all our writers! We are looking forward to seeing all the fabulous ways you find to use the “40 Knives” story as inspiration for your own writing. Remember that you may enter as many times as you wish. Each post is another chance at winning the jackpot!
Original content © 2016 Kyla Matton Osborne and BlogBourne