While xylitol sweetener is found in gum, candy and other foods, some with pets do not realize this can and will kill a pet. Xylitol is not something a dog or cat will be able to metabolize. Like other products dogs and cats should not be given as food, anything containing xylitol should be guarded if it is in a home where there are pets. Just a small amount of this sweetener can kill a dog in less than a day, although symptoms won’t necessarily show up for a few hours.
The dog in this photo was not given xylitol and is safe! The photo used with this information belongs the author of this post.
Anyone suspecting that a pet has consumed something containing xylitol sweetener should seek the help of a veterinarian immediately. There often is not much hope to save a cat or dog that has eaten a certain amount of xylitol. However, the sooner a veterinarian checks the pet, the better the chances are the pet might make a recovery. Be sure to bring the packaging of any product containing xylitol that was eaten by the pet with you when you visit the veterinarian.