What Fruit is This Kiwano?
Kiwano is perhaps the fruit which boasts the most names of any other that has existed on planet earth. Kiwano has at least nine different names. Maybe there is another which boasts more than ten names. If there is, then inform us.
The Many Names of the Kiwano Fruit
Let us begin with the name Kiwano. The name must have its origin in Africa, for Kiwano may also be called African horned cucumber or African horned melon. These make the total names to be three. The botanical name is Cucumis metuliferus. The fruit may also be known by these other names: horned melon, jelly melon, hedged gourd, melano, blowfish fruit, and perhaps others. How do you call it where you come from?
Characteristics Of the Fruit Known as Kiwano
- It may be described as an annual vine in the cucumber and melon family. The vine climbs on other plants for support.
- It is a yellowish orange fruit characterized by horns, or hedges, all over the fruit.
- The plant enjoys hiding its fruits using other vines that grow downwards.
- The fruit has a green jelly-like center that contains flat seeds.
- The taste of the fruit is something between a melon and cucumber. It is therefore not so pleasant to eat.
- The fruit is rich in many minerals and vitamins that have many nutritious benefits to humans.
- The seeds can stay in the ground for quite some time before they germinate. After germinating, they do not enjoy being transplanted unless you grow them in tubes.
How Did I Come To Know Kiwano Fruit?
For many years, the fruit used to grow in my garden and I never knew how to get rid of it. The fruit looked scary and nobody wanted to eat it. For many years, we tried to uproot, burn and destroy the vines but the seeds found a way to germinate and grow anyway.
The Market for Kiwano Fruit Found at Last
One day, a merchant came and wanted the fruits in very large quantities. They were sought of like gold in the capital. Soon, I had found a good market for my produce. The price ranged from $1 to $4 depending on demand and supplies. I had to find out through Google search the benefits of this fruit.
What Are The Properties of Kiwano Fruit?
The fruit is 80% water, which is a property that makes it a good fruit for those who want to check their weight. It also has vitamin A, C, E and many others. It also boasts of having zinc, calcium and many other minerals.
The Benefits of Kiwano Fruit
It has properties which slow down the aging process. The fruit has the capacity to remove wrinkles and make the face and body smooth. if you are in need of strengthening your bones then you have your solution in Kiwano. the fruit is also capable of treating ulcers, diabetes and other insistent diseases.
Kiwano is a wonder fruit, as it is known to reduce stress and anxiety in humans. Wounds can also be healed by this fruit.
Featured image: Steven Giacomelli/Pixabay/CC0