Being blessed by having an over-abundance of zucchinis is great, since they can be used in so many different ways. One of the wonderful things about zucchinis, other than their outstanding health benefits, is that they tend to take on the flavor of whatever they are cooked with. That is one of the things that make the mushroom zucchini bake so popular. Garden fresh zucchinis are best, but even store-bought zukes produce a very tasty and satisfying dish. This is just one of the mushroom and zucchini dishes I make, since the two go so well together.
This recipe is a variation of another mountain man’s recipe that uses mashed potatoes instead of zucchini, but although the recipes are similar, the flavor is quite different. Still, this zucchini recipe is very good tasting and it is also filling. This could also be used as either a side dish or a main dish and since it contains no meat, it should appeal to vegetarians.
For best results, the zucchini should be peeled and if it is large enough to start producing seeds, it should also be cored.
Mushroom Zucchini Bake Ingredients:
4 cups zucchini, in 1 inch cubes
1 cup onion, diced
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
2 bell peppers, cut in rings
2 cups colby-jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
3 large eggs, scrambled
3 tablespoons real butter
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon sage
Mushroom Zucchini Bake Instructions:
1. In a medium pot and over medium heat, boil the zucchini, covered, in just enough water to keep it from burning. Cook the zucchini until it is tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove the zucchini from heat and strain out the water, then mash the zucchini.
3. Fry the mushrooms, onions and garlic in the butter over low heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
4. Mix the zucchini, mushroom mixture and eggs, pouring this into a baking pan or casserole pan. Top everything with the herbs, bell pepper rings and cheese, in that order.
5. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
If you want this to be more like a caserole than just a baked dish, sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs over the top prior to baking. This dish can also be garnished with fresh parsley for a wonderful effect.
Mushroom zucchini bake is filling, so it goes well with foods that aren’t as filling, such as seafood salads. It also goes well with lean cuts of meat and is excellent when served with venison steak.
This dish is delicious and healthy, yet it is also filling. It isn’t difficult to fix, but the zucchini takes on the flavor of the onions, mushrooms and bell peppers. This is a great way to cook zucchinis, particularly if you find yourself with an abundance.