Sending off Loved Ones with Professional Mourning
Loved ones pass on and it is really a time of mourning and bereavement. In Western Kenya and Nyanza provinces, mourning for the dead is treated with dire seriousness. The importance of a person is known depending on how they are mourned at the time of their demise. That is the time when professional mourning is sought.
What is Professional Mourning?
It is when people who are not relatives of the diseased mourn them for a fee. Yes, such people are known as professional mourners, and their activity as professional mourning. They mourn the dead person so that they receive payment. It is a type of business or employment.
Why Do We Mourn?
People mourn the departed for various reasons. Outlined here are some of the reasons:
- They mourn due to the loss of the loved one who had suddenly succumbed to death. They cry, tossing themselves in dust due to the pain of losing one who was of great help to them.
- Others mourn to alert the neighborhood of the demise of their dear ones. They howl, shout and chant songs in praise of the dead person. Usually, when a person passes on, it is a time of great noise and wailing.
- Mourning can be a way of showing other people how important the person was in your life and community too. The importance of the person determines how they are mourned for. That means that there is more mourning for a grown up than there is for an infant.
- Others mourn as a means to show off. They want to show the world that they really mourned for the one who had departed from them.
- Others mourn as a mockery. Maybe they were not in good terms with the dead or their relatives. They come to mock them that at last death has caught up with them.
Why Professional Mourning?
There are some people who cannot wail as loudly as they want to, and therefore seek the services of professional mourners. Likewise, there are those who are not popular, and they will hire people to make their dead look famous. There are still those who do it as a show-off.
How is Professional Mourning Done?
This is done by use of motorcycle riders who hoot and mourn, riding through major towns. They do it when they get the dead from the mortuary. There are also convoys of mourners in various vehicles trying to outdo each other in wailing. At the end of the activity, it is when money exchanges hands. All these are done in the name of professional mourning.
Featured image: Funeral procession (Image: skeeze/Pixabay/CCO)